Wednesday, July 13, 2011

5th letter from the MTC!

                     Anziano Lacey and Anziano Barker - Looking serious

                        Anziano Lacey and Barker - Looking normal :-) 

Anzianos Lacey, Green, & Reed

Caro Famiglia,

I know "famiglia" looks like FAM-IG-LIA, but in Italian the "gli" make a really beautiful "L" sound kinda similar to the "l's" in "million". There's your Italian vocab lesson of the week!

This week has been fantastico! I have seriously loved every second of it, and I've been studying so much material that I find it's hard to fit everything into one day! I wish there were more hours to the day!

Dad, have a great day of work! I'm excited for you! Let me know how it goes! Sounds like you all had a fun time at the beach! I miss the beach... Now I regret not going before I left! And yes, pretty soon I'll be sending more pictures, and can you change my scripture for the plaque? Instead of just D&C 14:7 I want D&C 14:7-8. Verse 8 spices it up a bit!  It's going to kill me to know that you are in Provo, Morgan!   Maybe I'll run into you! What are your plans in Park City? Make sure you drive safe! And tell the Buntings I said Ciao! (Sounds like "chow" and means hello and bye-bye).

I see Elder Thorn all the time, and he actually lives in the same building as me, just a floor above! If he ever needs to talk or needs some advice about MTC, companions, ect, he heads down and we talk. It's awesome seeing friends as missionaries! Brooke, I'm glad you had a great time at efy! And please send some pics! I don't mind hearing about your "c.o.w.s"!

I would ask how Transformers 3 was, but I don't know what movies are anymore. The only thing that rings a bell when I hear "movies" is The Restoration, The Testaments, District 2, and Legacy. Over, and over again. But if you'd like to keep a list of the so called "movies" I should watch when I get back would be awesome! Haha I miss you guys!

As far as my shoes, I love them! There are no problems with them and I think they will be perfect for Italy! Oh, and you don't have to send packages anymore, I feel bad when I see the price tag of how much it costs written on it! Thank you so much though! Just reading your words is the best!

Heather, Greg, and Mom, what were your favorite rides at Holiday World? Did any of you get your world rocked by The Voyager I think it was called? And Morgan, I don't think you have to worry about writing Anziano Barker cause I'm pretty sure he's writing you today! So you'll have it by the time you get back from track camp. His address is the same as mine except the name; his is Elder Robbie Barker.

Well about my week:

I'm trying to remember some details but a lot of the days kinda blend together at this point! I think I'll start bringing my journal with me when I type so that I can remember!

It's interesting because in my personal studies the topic I've been working on is self-mastery. I was flipping through the Topical Guide one day and the Self-Mastery section stood out to me so I've been studying those scriptures and applying them in my life.

I've been super busy. Besides my hours of language study I've started reading the New Testament, continued studying the Book of Mormon, and I've also started the Doctrine and Covenants. I also have hundreds of flashcards in my pocket to take with me everywhere so I'm always productive. I'm on the Lord's time, and two years isn't very long so I'm trying to make every second count.

I want to share something with you that was a huge confidence booster for me. And I don't share it to boast of myself (because "I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things" Alma 26:12) but to share it because it was meaningful to me:

There is a man in the branch presidency named Brother Lamrouex (I think that's how you spell it). He was a Col. in the army, and a really high ranking one at that! This whole month I thought he disliked me because everything I did, he would correct me and it seemed like I did everything wrong in his eyes. On Sunday we had the half-way point interviews, and I was nervous to be stuck with him (because I thought he was going to chew me out).
 We got into the interview and he asked me to say a prayer in Italian, so I did. When I finished he asked me how my Italian was coming along and I replied with, "eh, okay I guess." He told me that my vocabulary and my pronunciation were very good, above average of the usual missionary at this point in the MTC. That meant so much to me and helped me switch my mentality of "I stink at Italian" to "I can do this, I'm good at Italian." He also told me to focus my learning on the people of Italy, and that if I learn it for them, instead of myself, I'll learn it so much quicker.

He also told me that the presidency was really happy with me, and that I was their first choice for zone leader, next to Anziano Barker. He said that although it wasn't their final decision, they know that the people in the leadership positions are there for a reason, and that I'm with my companion for a reason. He said he sees that I've been born of goodly parents, a good Latter-Day Saint, and that he sees in me great potential. That's when it clicked that this man cared for me, and when he was correcting me, it was out of care for me to become better. I was too quick to judge, and I have to work on that.

Well those were the highlights! My prayers have been answered, all the way from strengthening my companionship, to your guy's safety. I feel the Lord's hand in my life, and recognizing the Spirit is getting easier and easier as the days go by.

I can't wait for Italy. As teachers talk about their experiences, as I meet the Italian natives in the MTC, and as I focus on learning this language for them my love for their culture and people grow. And I haven't even been there yet!

I miss you all so much! Sometimes it feels like forever since I've seen you last, but other times it feels like just yesterday. I am doing well, I love love love love my mission!!! I want to be in Italy already, but I know the training is extremely important now.

I love you Dad. I love you Mom. I love you Morgan. I love you Brooke. I love you Heather. I love you Greg. You all are my favorite people ever, and words cannot express my love for you, so I hope serving this mission shows my love for both Heavenly Father and you guys. Take care, and remember you are always in my prayers. I thank you for the prayers for me. Send my love to everyone: our family, friends, and the ward. I love you!

Love,

Anziano Clay Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment