Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Hey guys!

Thanks for the awesome emails and I'm glad that everyone is doing well!

This has been a great and busy week. Although we had to hurry things up, especially in preparation for the trainings, zone conference went well. President is such an inspired man and he knows everything we as missionaries need to hear in order to be more prepared and overcome our challenges. Little things I've heard in this conference, sacrament meeting, and other things people have been saying have really been helping me realize things we can do for our investigators and it's wonderful to see how the Spirit really helps inspire our thoughts.

We've been finding recent success with two families through genealogy work. They have been so impressed with the organization of the church that we've set some more appointments for this week to talk about our beliefs so we are hoping that they become new investigators.

Unfortunately we haven't yet met with Sabrina and Christian because of zone conference and the Scamporrino family went out of town and are visiting family in Venice. We are still really excited to see them and help them grow closer to God.

Oscar Reali is a ward member here who has been such a huge support and help with missionary work. Like I said before he received his mission call to Manchester, England, and we've had a great week with him and the members as we've said goodbye. It has helped me to remember the same emotions and excitement that I felt as I prepared to leave. We had a family home evening with a good half of the ward there where we said 'goodbye' all together and then this morning we came here early to church where we said goodbye after he was set apart. He has been such a great friend and I'm going to miss him but I know that the fact that he is serving will be a huge blessing for the ward and most of all for his family.

On Saturday we had a great lesson with Giovanna from English course. She is such a great person and was very open to hear the message of the Restoration.  The Spirit was very strong in the lesson and we could tell that she felt it. We finished the lesson with a kneeling prayer that she offered that was very powerful. She works in humanitarian aid and goes around the world with her work and is seriously one of the coolest people I've ever met. She is one of my best of friends here in Siracusa. There was an Ensign or Liahona article that spoke of sharing the Gospel by sharing yourself which really stuck out to me. It also came up in a great talk that a member gave in sacrament meeting. One thing that I am loving so much about the mission are the friendships I'm making. For example, Giovanna with her family and friends took me and Anziano Smit out to see a piano concert which was great! These friendships I'm making all over the country are one of my greatest treasures of the mission. I still hear from friends in Sardegna which makes me grateful that Italy is now officially a big part of my life. 

Speaking of the piano concert, I am either really deprived in entertainment, or I just discovered that I absolutely love the piano. During the mission I've been learning the piano a bit and can somewhat play a few hymns.

We have been visiting a lot of member families and we received a random invite from a brother who is the only member in his family. We had a great lunch with him, his wife, and their nineteen year old son, and they all really enjoyed the spiritual thought at the end. Who knows, maybe something will spark like is did with Ignazio Mazzone back in Olbia!

Okay, funny story real quick: Giuseppe, one of our investigators who is making slow, yet important progress invited us out to eat pizza at a fancy restaurant in the middle of Ortigia close to the Duomo. As we were walking back there was a group of three guys with their dirty, shaggy dogs that are homeless playing a drum and guitar. Giuseppe knows one of them because he helped him get to rehab a few weeks ago (they get drunk, play, and wait for people to give them money). Anyways, as Giuseppe was talking to them, one of the dogs peed on the slope of the sidewalk they were sitting on and it started flowing down towards us... like a river. We dogged the incoming liquid, it went past us and then formed into a large puddle a few feet away from us (there was a lot and it was a big dog). By this time we had joined the conversation and we turned around later to find a group of loud, vulgar young ladies gathered in that very puddle, jumping around, joking and goofing around, probably waiting for their boyfriends. I turned to my companion and said, "Should we tell them?" Just then a girl realized that her feet were wet, looked at the puddle, and then followed it all the way up to where the dog was. When things 'clicked' she screamed in disgust. It was a real mess when all the girls found out and me and Anziano Smit couldn't help but die of laughter when they had ran off.

I love the mission! It makes you laugh hard, along with all those spiritual moments too! I love you all so much! I love you Dad, I love you Mom, I love you Morgan, I love you Brooke, I love you Heather, I love you Greg. Have a great week! I love you all so much!

Con amore, 

Anziano Clay Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment